You don't need to traipse the globe to spice up your date night. Here are some suggestions for creating a new and exciting atmosphere right in the comfort of your own home.
1. Make your own Moroccan-style lanterns.
Image by Shutterstock
Give it a truly foreign feel — make sure you're using some unusual stuff that wouldn't normally be found laying around your home. Learn how here.
2. Have an indoor picnic.
Spread a blanket out in the living room. Make some s'mores on the stove and set up a nice fondue pot.
3. Cook some seriously other-worldly food, like this spicy Thai soup.
You know where you and your partner come from -- and where you've never been. Pick a new type of cuisine and experiment with it. Really push the both of you out of your comfort zones and try new things -- like you would on a vacation to an exotic destination. Try this recipe.
4. Make your own indoor canopy.
Find out how here.
5. Throw on some music the two of you don't normally listen to. Try some Coltrane, or some Arturo Sandoval.
Enhance the feeling of being in a strange place by trading in the usual sonic fare for something a little more foreign to your space.
6. Make a champagne cocktail, or something with a little fruit garnish.
Photo By Aaron Polsky
Like one of the after-work drinks from our list.
7. Burn some incense.
You'll want everything in the room to have a foreign feel. If you're utilizing a common space, make it smell unique.
8. Make a chandelier with some icicle lights and a hula hoop.
Source: Kenneth Lu / via: toasty
9. Make your own DIY porcelain roses for decoration.
Learn how here.
10. Cut the cords. Turn off your cell phones, and unplug the landlines.
Image by Shutterstock
This is the one most people forget. You could do all of the above and really set the mood in a perfect way, only to have it ruined by interruptions from the outside world. If you were really that far from home, the office and your friends and your family and everyone wouldn't be able to reach you with a simple text message. An hour or two of radio silence won't kill you, and it will certainly help the intimacy go to a whole new level.
In partnership with Buzzfeed